Wednesday 8 August 2007

If at first you don't succeed

...use maths.

I have finally conquered the puzzle. The solution looks something like

5
876
42391


Every piece now has an A point, a B point and a C point. I was just about to rule out 5 as a point when the last possible combination of pieces just worked!

Assuming I've already ruled out the two other points of 5 as being the top, then:

  1. 5 forces 7 at its bottom.
  2. On the LHS of 7 I must place either 8 or 9.
  3. On the bottom of 9 I must put either 2 or 6.
  4. 2 forces 3 on its LHS.
  5. 7 forces 6.
  6. 6 forces 4 and then this solution doesn't work.
  7. Going back to follow on from step 2, on the RHS of 7 I must put either 2 or 6.
  8. If I have a 2 I can place pieces below the 2 and the 8 but then can't place a piece between these.
  9. Going back to follow on from step 7, 6 forces 1.
  10. 9 forces 3.
  11. This solution works!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...