Saturday 1 March 2008

Books I Read in Febuary

Total: 9 books.

Can You Keep A Secret (Sophie Kinsella)
The Undomestic Godess (Sophie Kinsella)
Mums@Home (Sophie King)
My Mummy Wears a Wig - Does Yours? (Michelle Williams-Huw)
The Carpet People (Terry Pratchett)
Animal Crackers (Hannah Tinti)
The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic (Sophie Kinsella)
A Left-Hand Turn Around The World (David Wolman)
Perfectly Correct (Philippa Gregory)

Following on from my discovery of Sophie Kinsella earlier in the month, Can You Keep A Secret (27/02) and The Undomestic Godess (25/02) were both library reads. I enjoyed The Undomestic Godess rather more than Can You Keep A Secret but perhaps that was partly due to the discovery as I progressed through the latter that I had read it at least once before. I'll carry on reading books by this author as I come across them but I'd be unlikely to bother rereading them (or at least being aware of it).

Mums@Home (23/02)

My Mummy Wears a Wig - Does Yours? (21/02)

The Carpet People

A 99p bargain from Waterstones, Animal Crackers is a fairly typical book of short stories (where typical means they're all slightly odd).

I received The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic as the result of a swap for Stories We Could Tell (arwen1:UK). It had been a bit of a toss-up between something so obviously chick-lit and the more serious (I foget what) but I figured the chick-lit would be a quick easy read. Easy indeed, I picked this up on my way out after dinner on the 5th and finished it in bed that evening. I actually enjoyed this enough that I'll be making a small effort to find the other two in the series. I've put it back onto the swapping sites.

A Left-Hand Turn About The World (04/02) was another venture into the library's non-fiction books. I enjoyed Chris McManus's Right Hand, Left Hand and that prompted me to have a go at this. This book isn't nearly as good but is perhaps a little more friendly - maybe? It's a good introduction to handedness but I was a little frustrated without some of the more scientific content.

Mooched from Kim Cole (UK), Perfectly Correct (01/02) was my first book of Febuary. Having loved most Philippa Gregory's historical fiction (the exception being The Wise Woman) I thought it was worth trying something slightly different. The novel's had pretty mixed reviews and I can sort of see why. The writing's pretty fine and the story has some nice features but overall the book is lacking somewhat. Mostly I think because it has little hope of matching the beauty and intelligence of her historical novels. Anyway, I read this in a couple of days and have since made it available for mooching.

1 comment:

  1. I love finding a new author. Sophie Kinsella I will definitely be looking for at my library.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...