Monday 11 May 2009

Walking to the Sky

This was an obvious one to feature in my series of CMU specials so made a good no-thought-required way to start the week. Walking to the Sky is a sculpture outside Warner Hall (which I found on the first day to get my CMU ID card and then again on both Thursday and Friday to visit the Office of International Education). This is apparently a copy of a sculpture currently located at the Nasher Sculpture Center in Dallas, but originally at the Rockefeller Center.


Like most of these 'what a great idea' installations, it wasn't terribly popular with the people on campus at the time. Students supposedly described it as an eyesore and as "vaguely phallic" (but isn't everything to a student?) but I have to say that compared to the Infolab it is quite clearly stunning :)

Actually, I quite like this. It's not too modern: it has real people in it - well, real in the sense that they resemble people - and it uses a sensible colour palate. Also, the sentiment is nice and appropriate to the context. I like the title too. Can't really see what all the fuss was about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...