Monday 1 June 2009

Books I Read in May

Total: 9 Books

Something Borrowed (Emily Giffin)
The Last Time They Met (Anita Shreve)
The Joy Luck Club (Amy Tan)
Knitting Rules (Stephanie Pearl-McPhee)
The Gatecrasher (Madeline Wickham)
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (Ken Kesey)
Nadia Knows Best (Jill Mansell)
Thinking of You (Jill Mansell)
This Present Darkness (Frank Peretti)

A light read after the two slightly more substantial reads (by which I mean meaningful content not length) - Something Borrowed was a one-day read as I meandered around Homestead and Squirrel Hill. Not fabulous, not awful either. Mooched from Stacy (USA).

Mooched The Last Time they Met (30/05) from Jeanette (USA). One of my slower reads this month, with both Knitting Rules and The Joy Luck Club started and finished as this one progressed. I loved the descriptive prose in this novel - wasn't crazy about the ending though.

Picked The Joy Luck Club (28/05) off one of the BookMooch Recommendation pages. A lovely little book. Mooched from Ellen (USA).

One of the girls at Natural Stitches recommended Knitting Rules (27/05) for socks. It's got loads of other stuff in it too. Started reading it on my home for the shop and finished on my way back to the shop the following evening. Cool book with lots of useful stuff in.

Read The Gatecrasher (22/05) as some light relief after One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Quick, easy read with little to say for it. Not appalling but not so good you overlook the chick-lit factor :) Mooched from Tiffani (USA).

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is one of those classic books I really should have read before now, but I hadn't, so I did (21/05). Took a bit of time to read this one but it is a great novel. Mooched from Alex (USA).

Nadia Knows Best was one of those mooched after reading Thinking of You. I liked this book. Light, predictable and well-written. Mooched from mspeegle (USA).

Brought Thinking of You with me to the US as I was pretty certain I'd not feel the need to take it back home again - generally any chick-lit is a one-time-only read. Nice and light this really cheered me up. Glad I didn't read it on the plane as it was lovely to have something so easy and uplifting once I'd arrived and settled and was feeling a bit sad. Started on the 7th after a bit of a mope and finished on the 9th after forcing myself to drag it out :) Have mooched a few more by this author to help keep the blues away.

Read This Present Darkness on the plane over to the US (05/05). Wasn't desperately impressed. A nice idea for a spiritual book (if a little blatant) but not fantastically written. An OK read but I wouldn't read any more by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...