Saturday 31 October 2009

Books I Read in October

Total 12 books:

A Modern Girl's Guide To Getting Hitched (Sarah Ivens)
Glass Houses (Rachel Caine)
Hunted (P.C. and Kristin Cast)
Untamed (P.C. and Kristin Cast)
Chosen (P.C. and Kristin Cast)
Betrayed (P.C. and Kristin Cast)
Marked (P.C. and Kristin Cast)
A Lion Among Men (Gregory Maguire)
Tips for Knitters (Debbie Bliss)
Incendiary (Chris Cleave)
When Bad Things Happen to Good Knitters: An Emergency Survival Guide (Marion Edmonds & Ahza Moore)
Things I Learnt From Knitting (Whether I Wanted To Or Not) (Stephanie Pearl-McPhee)

A Modern Girls Guide To Getting Hitched
(31/10) didn't really tell me anything all that useful. It was also a wee bit, well, shallow. Borrowed from the library.

Glass Houses
(29/10) is the first book in the Morganville vampire series. OK, but not impressive enough to make me want to buy the rest of the series. If you're looking for more Twilight, try House of Night (below) before bothering with these. On Bookmooch.

I've been meaning to try the House of Night novels: Marked (18/10), Betrayed (26/10), Chosen (26/10), Untamed (27/10) and Hunted (28/10) ever since seeing them on Waterstones.com. Having finally given up all hope of persuading them to fix their website (tech support? Goodness no), I gave up and ordered them from The Book Depository. I ordered just the first one initially and then, after finishing that, the remaining four books in the series. They aren't the new Twilight, but they're not bad. I'm particularly enjoying the character twists as the series moves on. Will keep them around once I'm done with them so I can reread them as new books are published.

A Lion Among Men
(16/10) is the third book in the Wicked series. It's a while since I've read the other books so I can't really make a good comparison. I did find it harder to follow the clock part of this book than the lion bit though.

Tips for Knitters
(15/10) is another useful little knitting reference. Less things crammed into it than When Bad Things Happen to Good Knitters but still rather useful.

Incendiary
(14/10) is stunning, simply stunning. On Bookmooch.

When Bad Things Happen to Good Knitters is one of the best little references I've seen. It may only provide one solution to every problem but, nonetheless, it has some useful stuff in it which I will no doubt refer back to again and again. Fab!

Much like Yarn Harlot (in fact, often rather too much like Yarn Harlot for my liking, I'm sure I'd read some of these before) Things I Learnt From Knitting was good but really not *that* good. It was OK - I read it once but quite probably will never read it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...