Monday 24 January 2011

FO: Oak Leaf Camo Cache (or 'In Which Saffy Combines Two of Her Favourite Things')

I sat down last night and finally got around to starting one of those knits I've been meaning to start for a while - even better, I finished it too :)

My plan was to pick a leaf pattern and knit it up in some bits of green Zauberball leftover from my Honeymoon Socks. I flicked through my 100 Flowers to Knit and Crochet and settled on an Oak Leaf. The pattern calls for DK weight yarn so I held the Zauberball double and set off on my way:



Once I'd completed the basic pattern I turned over and picked up 11 stitches on each side of the centre down the length of the leaf and knit a few rows on each before grafting them together to create a little pocket for a cache container (spot the little green lid poking out of the top).



Finally, I grabbed a press stud and some green sewing thread so that the i-cord (somewhat longer than the 1" called for in the original) can be folded over to create a hanging loop.

The end result - a cute little camouflage container to hide around Lancaster somewhere. Very cool.

---

Pattern: Oak Leaf by Lesley Stanfield.

Yarn: Schoppel-Wolle Zauberball from Natural Stitches, Pittsburgh.

Mods: Used fingering weight yarn held double (3.25mm needles) instead of DK weight. Did the colour changes as and when I ran out of yarn in a given piece of green. Increased the i-cord length to about 8cm. Once finished, I knitted on a pocket and fastened the icord to the pocket using a press stud.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...